Welcome to the next instalment of our International Blog Hop Thinking Outside the Box!
This month we are literally going “outside the box” with our creations! It is a card that “explodes” when you remove the lid!
Here is what I am making you today! Isn’t it great?
1.To start I cut a piece of Whisper White paper down to 10 ½ x 10 ½. Once cut down you will score at 3 ½ and 7 on both sides to create 9 boxes on your paper.
Once you are finished scoring, you will cut out the four corner pieces.
2. For the box lid cut down a sheet of Whisper White to 5 ⅝ x 5 ⅝
Once cut down you will score at ½ inch all the way around on all four sides. Miter the four corners to create the box lid tabs and glue together.
Fold on the scored lines of the box and you have created your box, and then decorate as desired!
3. To decorate the box this is what I cut:
- Painted with Love DSP – cut four pieces at 2 ¼ x 3 for outside of the box
- Gold Foil – cut 12 pieces at 1 inch x 3 these pieces will be punched out with the Decorative Ribbon border punch
- Gold Foil – cut 5 pieces at 3 ¼ x 3 ¼ for inside panel mats. You will use these pieces to cut out your die pieces.
- Whisper White – cut four pieces at 3×3 for inside panels
- Painted with Love DSP – cut one piece at 3×3 for inside panel
- Gold Foil – 3 ¼ x 3 ¼ this piece is for the top of the box
- Whisper White – 3 ⅛ x 3 ⅛ this piece is for the top of the box
A couple of really cool things that I did with my lid I want to show you.
I cut 12 squares at 2 ½ x 2 ½ and I glued them together in a stack.
Cut a piece of Gold Foil sheet at ⅛ of an inch and with Tombo glue, glue the edge of the stack and attach the gold foil strip.
Do this for all four sides to create a clean edge around the stack. This will give your box top added height!
I attached the stack to the top of the box and then put a final piece on top of that to give it some dimension. I love how it turned out.
I then cut out an extra large dragonfly with our Gold Glimmer paper, and then adhered it to the top with our dimensional strips.
Another trick that I did was with the Gold Foil that is attached to the inside panels of the box. Because the Gold Foil is the mat piece for the white, I cut out my die pieces from the foil as it will be covered.
Once the die pieces were cut out, I glued the Whisper White panels onto the Gold Foil. Then using our mini dimensional I popped the flower pieces onto the panels and then adhered pearls to the centre of the flowers.
For the outside panels I adhered the decorative border to the back of the DSP pieces and then glued the whole piece down. I then glued the other decorative borders onto the bottom edge of the box lid.
Here are a few more pictures of how I decorated the box:
I hope you liked the project! Here is the printable tutorial – Explosion Box Tutorial
Please let me know what you think!
I am loving the new papers from the new occasions catalogue! Let me know which is your favourite?
I am going to list all the items used in case you want to pick them up in my store! Remember with Sale-a-Bration going on right now with every $60.00 order, you can choose an exclusive item for free! If you want more information about how you can do this, feel free to contact me!
- Whisper White cardstock
- Gold Foil paper
- Gold Shimmer paper
- Painted with Love DSP
- Petal Palette bundle
- Scor board
- Tombo glue
- Mini dimensionals
- Big Shot
Check out the other amazing creations from the girls!
Thanks for visiting!
- Shannean Moncrieff – Australia
- Tanja Kolar – Germany
- Yoshiko Endo – Japan
- Annette Elias – Netherlands
- Dena Rekow – USA
- Beate Wacker – Austria
- Aude Barbara – France
- Barb Stewart – Canada – You are here!